Fashion Marketing Career – A Brief Guide
- November 9, 2020
- Posted by: lisaadelhi
- Category: Fashion Design Blog
Ever looked at a fashion show on TV and admired a model’s jaw-dropping good looks? And what about the designer’s exquisite sense of style? All this might have made you wonder about getting into the fashion industry. But you may not be interested in modelling, fashion designing or fashion photography.
So, will your dreams of entering the fashion industry shatter?
Not really, as you haven’t thought of fashion marketing. A fashion marketer helps designers sell their products to the right customers. We will be talking a lot more about a fashion marketing career in this post.
What Does a Career in Fashion Marketing Involve?
No matter how talented a fashion designer is, without marketing, his or her products won’t sell! A designer has to promote his/her products so that customers and fashion brands come to know them. This is where a fashion marketer comes to the rescue!
A career in fashion marketing involves the following duties –
- Development of marketing strategies to raise awareness about a particular designer’s work
- Creating advertising campaigns and handling the entire branding process
- Analyzing product campaign results and handling the marketing team
- Evaluating strategies about sales, pricing, designing, allocation and communication
As the industry is cut-throat, you always have to look out for opportunities to grow your brand.
Why Choose Fashion Marketing as a Career?
If you are more interested in marketing or branding of fashion products, rather than designing them, fashion marketing may be a good career option. And if you like interacting with people, analyzing new fashion trends, predicting the possible trends and establishing style statements – fashion marketing is for you.
Plus, you get to meet talented designers, models, photographers and entrepreneurs every day! How cool is that?
Skills or Traits Required to Get into Fashion Marketing
Fashion marketers have to be competitive, hardworking and open to new ideas. Here are the other skills that will get you into fashion marketing –
- Creativity is needed for developing marketing campaigns to capture the audience’s attention
- You have to be updated about the latest trends in the fashion, music and movie industries
- You need to be curious about the styles followed by designers, celebrities, artists and even sports personalities. This will help in ideation and trend analysis
- Excellent communication skills, time management, strong work ethic, leadership and social media skills are very important
How to get into Fashion Marketing?
To get into this industry, you have to complete your 10+2 from a recognized board. You must have an undergraduate degree in fashion management or marketing/ management. A post-graduate degree in Fashion marketing will be great for your career.
You also need some experience before entering the industry. Try applying for internships and jobs while pursuing your college education. This will increase your chances to bag awesome job offers once you graduate!
Salary & Job Outlook in Fashion Marketing
Fashion marketers are really well-paid and have diverse career options such as –
- Design manager
- Brand marketing manager
- Sales manager
- Marketing and promotions manager
- Production manager
- Fashion Marketing/ Branding consultant
- Marker researcher
- Purchase manager
The top recruiters in this field are –
- Marks & Spencer
- Indian Terrain
- Future Group
- ITC Wills Lifestyle
- Federated Group
Fashion marketing managers earn around INR 3.95 LPA to 30 LPA. For Design managers, the salary ranges between INR 5.87 LPA to 30 LPA. As you gain skills and experience, you can apply for the post of Senior Marketing Manager with a starting salary of INR 4.52 LPA.
Advertisement agencies, production houses, MNCs and Media houses – anybody involved in the fashion industry require Fashion Marketers. So, if you have the right skills, experience and mindset, the sky is the limit!