Difference Between Fashion & Textile Design
- December 17, 2020
- Posted by: lisaadelhi
- Category: Fashion Design Blog
The world of fashion feels dreamy to the common man. From dazzling models, glamorous fashion shows, jaw-dropping clothes to talented designers – this world feels almost unreal. Plus, you cannot deny the amount of money and fame people in this industry enjoy!
All this might get you interested in building a career in fashion. While fashion designing and modeling are the first two career paths that pop up in your head, that’s not all. In this post, we will talk about two very interesting career choices – fashion designing and textile designing.
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion designing can be considered as the art of creating clothes and accessories. It deals with a wide range of colors, patterns, fabrics, textures, and trends. While adding beauty to a piece of cloth or accessory, a new trend can be born. Fashion designing can also be aimed to create a particular style of products. Furthermore, clothes or accessories might be crafted to match someone’s lifestyle.
The two major categories of fashion designing are –
- Haute couture
This is a French term meaning high fashion. This line of clothing deals with creating exclusive custom-fitted clothes and accessories. This is where the world-famous brands and designers are involved mostly.
But any fashion designing house cannot call itself an haute couture house. For that, the house or designers need to be a part of the Syndical Chamber of Haute Couture, Paris. And not only that, the fashion house must present their collections two times a year. Each collection must have 35 different outfits.
- Ready to wear
As the name suggests, this line of clothing deals with clothes for everyday use. They are not custom made, are available in standard sizes, and are designed for everybody. Thus, these clothes are designed for mass production.
What is Textile Designing?
Textile designing is the art of creating products such as designs, printed fabrics, patterned fabrics, dyes, embroidery, and yarns. This field is vast and is not just limited to fashion designing. Textile designing covers products such as bulletproof vests, jackets, helmets, and wall coverings in cinema halls.
This field includes all the processes starting from collecting raw materials to launching the finished goods.
Topics Covered in Fashion Designing Course and Textile Designing Course
The various subjects covered in Fashion designing and Textile designing are –
|Fashion Designing Syllabus||Textile Designing Syllabus|
|Introduction to Fashion Designing||Introduction to Textile designing|
|History of Fashion||Elements of design|
|Fashion theory||Print design|
|Fashion technology||Pattern making|
|Apparel development||Basic designing and Design Art|
|Fashion illustration and sketching||Structural Fabric Design|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Computer-Aided Textile Design|
|Fashion management||Pattern making|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Garment production management|
|Fashion trends and forecasting||Basics of apparel merchandising|
Eligibility & Skills for being a Fashion Designer
You need to have the following skills to become a fashion designer –
- Creativity and artistic thinking
- Attention to detail
- He/she must be good at drawing
- Good communication skills
- He/she must have originality and innovativeness
The basic eligibility to pursue fashion designing is completing class 12 from any stream from a recognized board. For obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Designing, students have to undergo an entrance exam to enter a reputed institute. Later on, students can also go for a post-graduate degree in fashion designing.
Eligibility & Skills for being a Textile designer
Skills required to be a textile designer –
- Must have a good eye for fabrics, patterns, colors, and textures
- A good understanding of the various textile designing processes and techniques
- Awareness of the trends in the textile industry
- Team-working and communication skills
The basic eligibility to pursue textile designing is completing 10+2 from a recognized board. You might have to sit for an entrance exam to enroll in a UG course in textile designing. A minimum of 50 to 60 % marks is required in 10+2.
Role of Fashion Designer
The roles and responsibilities of a fashion designer are –
- Conducting market research and identify trends, fabrics, designs, and techniques
- Oversee the entire design process starting from conceptualization to product finalization
- Create mood boards, samples, and presentations for clients
- Communicate with team members to modify themes to make new ones and create concepts
- Contact the technical designer to ensure that the development package is accurate
- Analyze the style and fir for the products
- Visit various fashion stores and events, to see and buy fabrics, trims, and embellishments
Role of Textile Designer
The roles and responsibilities of a textile designer are –
- Creating samples, sketches, and designs for clients and customers
- Understanding the client’s requirements and working on designs accordingly
- Assessing the quality standards of the finished designs and products
- Using software and CAD (Computer-Aided Design) to develop a range of designs
- Being aware of the industry trends and techniques of textile designing
- Visiting trade shows and representing the company with a stand
- Communicating with business partners and developing the network
Career Options for a Fashion Designer
A fashion designer can be employed by companies in the following sectors –
- Garment stores
- Corporate businesses
- Media firms
- Textile houses
- Retail companies
- Universities and institutes as a fashion designing faculty
Top companies that hire fashion designers are –
- Marks & Spencer
- Lee Cooper
- Ritu Kumar
The average salary of a fashion designer in India is ₹3,92,053 LPA. Along with experience and skills, a fashion designer can earn up to 12 LPA.
Career options for a Textile Designer
Textile designers are mostly hired in the following sectors –
- Garment factories and stores
- Fashion houses
- Television and Media industry
- Knit-Wear Designers
- Fashion showrooms
Top companies that hire fashion designers are –
- Silver Spark Apparel Ltd.
- Reid and Taylor
The average salary of a fashion designer in India is ₹6,40,000 LPA. As the candidate gains new skills and experience, this salary package can go up to ₹ 12 LPA.
The fashion industry is brimming with opportunities. Thus, a career in fashion designing or textile designing will set you for a successful life. And not only that, once you gain sufficient experience, you can start your brand or freelance for some company.